Here are a few pictures showing the process my Grandad followed to make one of his wooden rocking horses. I don’t know which one this horse is, and the pictures may be from different horses, but you get the idea.
1. The main structure of the body.
2. Clamping the pre-shaped legs to the body while the glue dries.
3. The head has been attached, and the horse is taking shape.
4. Using a surform to round the corners.
5. Adding the finishing touches. My Nana sewed blankets, and shaped leather saddles and reins, which Grandad then attached.
6. The finished product. This is Black Prince, with my Nana Mabel and Grandad Harold, in 1981.